V D Pradeep Kumar
Dr. Pradeep’s ENT Center, Cochin
This article discusses the clinical action, pharmacokinetics, and indications for clinical use.
Cinnarizine is a selective Calcium channel blocker, belonging to group IV of Calcium antagonist. It has an anti-histaminic (H-1) effect also.
- It inhibits contraction of vascular smooth muscle cells by blocking calcium channels.
- Blockade of cellular influx of Calcium is tissue selective and results in anti-vasoconstrictor properties without affecting blood pressure and heart rate.
- It also decreases contractile activity of vasoactive substances such as norepinephrine and serotonin
- It decreases blood viscosity and may improve deficient micro circulation.
- Inhibits stimulation of vestibular systems which results in suppression of autonomic disturbances.
Peak plasma levels are obtained 1-3 hours after intake. Half life is 4 hours.
- Labrynthine disorders-vertigo, dizziness
- Prophylaxis of motion sickness and migraine.
- Maintenance therapy in tinnitus,muscular headache.
- Maintenance therapy for symptoms of peripheral circulatory disorders including Raynaud’s phenomenon, Nocturnal cramps, Varicose ulcers etc.
Preferably taken after food.
- Vestibular disorders -25mg thrice daily
- Cerebral Circulatory disorders- 25mg thrice daily
- Pheripheral Circulatory disorders-50 mg thrice daily
May cause epigastric distress, somnolence. Caution to be taken while on alcohol or CNS depressants
Headache, Dry mouth, weight gain, perspiration. Prolonged therapy in elderly people can cause aggravation or appearance of extra pyramidal symptoms and depression.
Dr. V D Pradeep Kumar, Consultant, ENT Surgeon, Dr. Pradeep’s ENT Center, Cochin-19
Conflict of Interest: None declared
- Cinnarizine- Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. [Source]
- Hahn A et al: A fixed combination of Cinnarizine/dimenhydrinate for the treatment of patients with acute vertigo due to vestibular disorders: a randomized reference-controlled clinical study: Clin Drug Investig. 2008:28(2):89-99.